Chateau R was built in 1881 as a country residence.
In World War II, the Germans took over the terrain and expanded it to enlarge the base for night fighters.
From this period it has always remained a military site and has never been inhabited as a family home again.
After the Second World War, the military site belonged to the Americans until 1951, after which it was sold to the Belgian state.
Air Force mess officers were housed until the closure of the base.
It was defense minister Leo Lacroix who closed the location in 1996.
The building completely burned down in 2017, all that remain are its walls.
These pictures weren taken in 2007 and 2012.